Sunday, March 11, 2012

Me Against the World

Isn’t it difficult…let me rephrase that: Isn’t it impossible for me to love everyone?

Do I speak for you as well, when I ask that question?

No matter how hard I try, some people just grate on my nerves and when I look at them, the feeling I experience is definitely not love.

Various thoughts entertain my mind. I can’t seem to help myself. Sometimes, my defense is that they are the ones who have turned against me.
What can I do about that?
Am I not justified in my feelings, in my thoughts?

While I do know that I only damage myself with these feelings, I can’t seem to shake them.

It’s not right for that person to be against me.

They are the ones at fault here, not me.

I have no choice.


But then I am convicted.
I pick up my Bible, and ask the Lord to show me his truths.

James 5:9: “Don’t grumble about each other, brothers and sisters, or you will be judged. For look – the Judge is standing at the door!” (NIV)

1Peter 1:13-16: “So think clearly and exercise self-control. Look forward to the gracious salvation that will come to you when Jesus Christ is revealed to the world. So you must live as God’s obedient children. Don’t slip back into your old ways of living to satisfy your own desires. You didn’t know any better then. But now you must be holy in everything you do, just as God who chose you is holy. For the Scriptures say, “You must be holy because I am holy.” (NIV)

Scripture overflows with passages on loving others and being holy.
Don’t judge lest you be judged.

I would have hoped to have been on board with the Lord by now.

But sadly, I am not.

I know I can do nothing without him: He is the vine and I am the branch.

The only way I know to continue in obedience to the Lord in this area, is to see Him in the eyes of each person I look at; every person who enters into my thoughts.
I know I have said this before. But, I still don’t have it right. I continue to struggle…..

…And, because of that, I am ashamed. Clearly, I am not trying hard enough.
I must try harder to focus on Him and leave my selfish ways behind.

The Lord is with me: he will help me to overcome.

Lord, I ask you to help me to love those you put in my path. Help me to overlook their weaknesses. Help me to love in spite of circumstances, Lord. Help me to understand that I do not need to understand nor agree with everyone in order to love them. As your servant, I am to love my brothers and sisters. To do this, I need you. Fill me with your love Lord, and as it leaks out, refill me. Continue to alter my thoughts so that they will be your thoughts. I thank you. In your holy name I pray, Jesus. Amen.

Praise be to him for his faithfulness!




No comments:

Post a Comment