Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Living Like Jesus

Brennan Manning quotes John Kavanaugh in his book, The Signature of Jesus: “Our culture fosters and sustains a functional trinitarian god of consumerism, hedonism, and nationalism. Made in the image and likeness of such a god, we are committed to lives of possessiveness, pleasure, and domination.”


I must admit, I am guilty. As much as I try not to, I often turn my head in the direction of my cultures trends. Then I somehow feel trapped to live otherwise.


I am ashamed. I know I can do better. I know these are merely temporary pleasures.


I can only win when I look to Jesus Christ as my example.


When Jesus walked this earth, he taught me another way; a better way. He said things like, “Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth,” and “You cannot serve both God and money.”


Jesus calls me to a life of simplicity. A life I am not familiar with today; a lifestyle where I have little to no teaching. A life I am not equipped to live because I am surrounded by, and immersed in, consumerism, hedonism, and nationalism.


How can I hope to change?


I turn to Jesus.


I focus on Jesus.


I read Scripture which offers me truth. In that reading is where I regain my peace and my assurance.


I am reminded of who I am in Christ.


I am saddened to know how far from Christ the world has taken me; how far the world has taken us all away from who should be number One in our lives.


I read Manning’s book and I learn of a study in New Jersey where polls revealed the following:


A study was done on 10,000 students entering college. The polls revealed this: while 89% were geared towards making a lot of money, 11% vied for positions of power…not.one. student.was.at.all.interested.in.being.Holy.


This made me want to weep for our future.

No comments:

Post a Comment