Tuesday, January 3, 2012

The Good Hurt

I said a prayer. I asked, in sincerity, “Lord, please give me your heart for your people. All people. Enable me to see them as you do.”

Soon, I found myself driving into town one day, with tears flooding my eyes. It had happened. I had begun to see people through His eyes.

I looked at them all; and I witnessed the love God has for each one. I prayed for each one as I drove past.

I knew nothing of any of them. But that was all right, because the Lord knows. I felt my prayers were powerful that day, more powerful than they had been in a long time.

God’s heart beat deep inside me. I had never hurt so beautifully; I had never loved so deeply as in that moment. I had never seen so clearly.

Since that day, and others like it, I have entered my church many times. The Lord recently brought to mind how I have often avoided eye contact with one brother in particular because of differences we have.

It is evident that I have not prayed that prayer for some time.

The Lord’s faithfulness reminded me of my prayer. I was convicted. Now, through sorrow and a truly repentant heart, I asked to be forgiven.

Once again I prayed the prayer. “Lord, please give me your heart for your people. All people.”

I now see my brother differently; more clearly. I see a person who is not unlike me; someone who needs the Lord; someone who needs to be loved just as I do; just as you do; just as we all do.

I see a man who desires forgiveness and understanding.

I see a God who offers that forgiveness and understanding. He offers that to all people.

I look at me and I see a woman who professes to follow the Lord. I see a woman who desires to follow the Lord. I see she has fallen, again. She needs the Lord’s forgiveness and understanding too.

I am so thankful to be given yet another chance to do it right; to rely on the Lord and once again experience the good hurt. The hurt that feels good because it grows out of God’s heart. A heart that speaks to us and says, “Love each another as I have loved you.” John 15:12 (NIV)

Lord, help me to love others. Give me your heart for all people. Enable me to see them as you do. I ask this in your Holy name, Jesus. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment