Friday, November 4, 2011

how' r you

I went to see my doctor this morning. As I sat in the waiting room, I glanced around and noticed an advertisement holder with five shelves, hanging on the wall. At the very top of this case, were the words, in this script: “how’r you.”

I got up from my seat and walked over to view the contents of this case. I had a fairly good idea what I would find, and I wasn’t disappointed. There were pamphlets on diabetes, blood pressure, colonoscopies, diets, smoking cessation, and the value of eggs, to name a few.

The categories were Women’s Health, Family Health, Children’s Health, Health Issues, and a lower section held folders to place your pamphlets in.

Something came to mind as I stood there browsing the shelves of this case. Naturally, everything that was addressed on these shelves was limited to mans physical health and well being. I know I was in a doctor’s office and shouldn’t expect any different. And I didn’t.

But it did get me thinking about how much time, money, and energy are spent in the area of man’s physical health and well being. I have no argument with the seriousness of physical health. I get the importance of it.

I am always eager to see my doctor when I am feeling ill. If the doctor thinks I might need something looked into further, I am always in agreement with her to do whatever is necessary to get me back on the path of good health. I am faithful to have my tests done. I may not look forward to them; some have been inconvenient in their preparation, and difficult in their procedure.
But I have them done, nevertheless.

I do what is necessary. I follow the doctor’s orders. I know that if I don’t; there will be a penalty. My physical well being may be in jeopardy.

Yet, how do I compare the care I give my body, to the care I give my soul?

I know that I need the Lord; and I need him daily.
Yet, am I eager, each day, to spend time with him?
I know he is constantly at work in my life to better me.
But, am I always in agreement with him?
Do I demonstrate this through my attitude and my behavior?
Am I faithful to the Lord, even when it is inconvenient and difficult?


My body is for a season. My soul is for eternity. What might the penalty be if I neglect my soul?

Psalm 42:2, “My soul thirsts for God, for the living God. When can I go and meet with God?” (NIV)

Does my soul thirst for God?

Psalm 119:48, “I lift up my hands to your commands, which I love, and I meditate on your decrees.” (NIV)

Do I meditate on God’s decrees?

Luke 9:23, “Then he said to them all: "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me.”” (NIV)

Do I deny myself daily? Do I pick up my cross daily? Do I follow him daily?

Ephesians 6:18, “Pray in the spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this is mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints.” (NIV)

Do I…?

No comments:

Post a Comment